Tuesday 26 May 2009

Coming Attractions: a review

The nice people at Zondervan were generous enough to send me a copy of Coming Attractions by Robin Jones Gunn a few weeks ago & I just have to say that I was more than a little excited to get to read the 3rd installment of the Katie Weldon Series.

If you are not familiar with these books, Robin first wrote the Christy Miller Series, followed it with the Sierra Jensen Series, & the College Years. I have been following these characters since I was in grade 7. When I saw last year that Robin was starting another series about Christy's friend Katie, I could hardly believe it. These books were great in jr. high & I have found them to remain enjoyable over the years.

In this series, we are following Katie on her journey through college; watching her balance her courses, work & relationships. About halfway through the second book, I could see where the story was headed, but because of the great writing, I was still eager to read HOW they would get to that end. It took to the end of this book to get there, but unlike many other Christian fiction I have read, I didn't find the book to be filled with a bunch of "filler" just to take up space on the page in order to make the book longer.

The characters are deep & true to life. Things don't always work out the way they want them to, & they haven't always had easy lives. It made me think back to my college days & be thankful for the times I had, but also thankful that they are over! No more exams!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review, Sherilyn. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for helping spread the word.

    Beth Murphy
    Zondervan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Robin Jones Gunn....met her at a signing a few months ago! Dream come true. ;-) Can't wait for Coming Attractions!

    ReplyDelete