Friday 8 May 2009

The Ants Go Marching

For the past week we have had an ant problem. I believe it all started last week, when the power was out & Asher was helping me put some groceries away. Somehow a bottle of juice was dropped on the floor & half the contents spilled out & under the fridge.

Since the power was out, I decided I might as well wait until the power was back on so I could use my steam mop to clean up the mess. Then, since housecleaning isn't the highest priority on my list, it was suddenly a week later & the mess still hadn't been cleaned up. So a few days ago, PChad & I pulled out the fridge & properly cleaned up under it.

We were alerted to the ant problem by Thanet. He has a very distinctive cry that he makes when he is doing something he knows he shouldn't be doing (like going into the washroom, climbing on the counters, etc.). The other day he was in the hallway & started doing the cry, so I went to see what he was up to. He was chasing an ant down the hall & perhaps he just wanted me to know there was an intruder in the house.

These ants are not the small ants that I am used to seeing in a house. They are the larger, garden variety ants that you'd commonly find on an anthill outdoors. Every now & then, Thanet will decide to sniff one, but I think they have pinched him a time or two b/c he ends up shaking his head & running away.


We don't really know where they are coming from, but we tend to find them in the vicinity of the fridge. Thanet has taken up his post & can be found in front of the fridge for a large percentage of his day. When one appears, he lets us know with is little cry, sometimes he'll even sit up & point his paw at the ant, keeping a safe distance.

There aren't a ton of them, we kill around 20 a day. I'm hoping they disappear soon, though. I really hate creepy, crawly things! Chancery has suddenly taken a liking to watching them & I hope she doesn't end up sampling one, like she does everything else she finds on the floor. Although, I hear in some countries, ants are considered a delicacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment