Thursday 4 December 2008

Thanks To The Man

Today I went to a Christmas sale & figured the best way to get around w/ the kids would be to use the double stroller. I'm not too experienced w/ said stroller, but I'm practicing in order to get better (and not bump into quite so many things!).

I had Asher in the front & Chancery's seat in the back. That way when we get to a door, I can have Asher push the button. We got to the door, Asher pushed, & pushed, & hit, & POUNDED the button to no avail. So I backed up, pulled the door open, held it w/ my foot, tried to push the stroller, but the wheels wouldn't go over the bump. So I took my other foot, pushed down on the rear axle, tipped the front of the stroller up, switched from holding the door w/ my foot, to holding it w/ my bum, & made it into the building!..... Well, through the first set of doors, we had to repeat the whole process again for the inside doors b/c the second button didn't work either.

I can't begin to imagine how those w/ disabilities manouver through when the buttons don't work. Those doors aren't light, & it can't be easy when you're in a chair, have a cane, or have other impediments.

On the way out I was hoping the buttons would work from the other direction (it has happened before), since I'd have to push the doors open which I find much more difficult to do. No such luck. The buttons seemed to be purely esthetic (but not all that pretty!). There were 2 sets of doors & as I was struggling to get out one set, a man walked around me & exited through the other doors. He walked a few paces, thought better of it & doubled back to hold the doors for me.

So to the man, whoever you might be, I say, "Thank you for being aware of the people around you (namely me)!"

Over at Clan Of The Cave Hair, she's promoting "National Hold The Door Day" December 23rd. Let's join forces & make a difference. Of course we could practice in the days before.... & the days after too!

1 comment:

  1. Sherilyn,

    It is amazing to me how society has lost the decency to help people out any more. I find it funny when I do hold the door open for people, often times they are surprised and shocked that I would wait to let them enter before me. I think that is pretty sad that it doesnt happen more often as well.

    ReplyDelete