Friday 5 December 2008

Great Books

I just finished reading "Remember Me?" by Sophie Kinsella. This was one of those books that you don't want to put down b/c it's sooo great, and yet you know that the more you read it, the faster it will come to an end, so you don't want to read it too fast.

Books like this are a blessing & a curse. I want to read it so badly that I neglect the other things I should be doing like sleeping, cleaning, blogging, making dinner..... I get to a break, where I should stop, but I want to know what will happen, so I keep reading, & next thing I know, 2 hours have passed.

I don't know what's better, to have a book like this that takes all my time until it's done (usually a matter of 3-4 days), or a book that doesn't capture my interest & takes me so long to read it that I forget what's going on in the story. Then I'm less likely to neglect my "duties", but I'm not enjoying myself as much either. I suppose it's good to have a balance, but whenever I finish a book like this I want to find another good one to follow it up with. That's what I like about books in a series (if they are good, if they suck, well, they aren't worth my time), but if there are 14 or so books, I know that for the next month, I can write off doing anything besides reading!

Anyway, I have yet to be disappointed by Sophie Kinsella's books. What should I follow it up with?

4 comments:

  1. I too just read "Remember Me?" This was a really good book. I picked it up on November 26th in the airport and finished it the next evening. I am five chapters into another book and am not so impressed (and is by an author i have not herd of)... Perhaps I should ditch the new reader and pick up another one from Sophie Kinsella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean.
    You can't wait to finish, but it's sad to be done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel seems to finish a book and then start another one immediately after. Within minutes. I need time to grieve the end of a good book and mull it over. Is that a guy vs. girl thing? Here are some good books I recently read: Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary Schmidt, Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers, Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski, Small Island by Andrea Levy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand. I'm holding off on the last Karen Kingsbury book in the Sunrise series because I need to finish a few household tasks first. After that I can read my book! Can't wait! Take Care ~Jodi

    ReplyDelete