Tuesday 21 April 2009

I'm A Nut

When we were first married, since I was new to Canada, I was not allowed to workb/c of immigration issues for about a year and 1/2. We didn't have a TV, so I read alot. Fortunately we lived quite close to the library, so first I read all the John Grisham books, then Sue Grafton caught my eye & I read all of her books. I went through a few more authors I knew & read their books (I had a lot of time on my hands, People!). After that, I started at the "A" authors & found Watership Down by Richard Adams, to be a very enjoyable read. But after awhile I got tired of reading & decided I needed to find something else to do with my time, so I picked up counted Cross-stitch.

I have a Christmas stocking that I have been working on for PChad since before Asher was born. I used to take it to work & work on it during my lunch hour. If there was nothing to watch on TV, I'd work on it at night. When we'd fly somewhere, I'd take it along as well. But since Asher was born, I just haven't really found the time. I find that the attention I have to have to focus on the task is sometimes more than I can give after the kids are in bed, so I've rarely worked on it in the last 2.5 years.


A few months ago we went to a parishioner's house for lunch & I noticed that she was a fellow cross-stitcher. She said that she was part of a group that gets together for an afternoon once a month & works on whatever their current project is. She asked if I'd be interested in coming the next time that they met & I said I would.

So, two months in, I am officially a "Needle Nut". I'm sure it will take quite awhile to finish the stocking, but I'm not too worried about running out of things to work on. After all, I still need to make on for Asher, Chancery & myself. I find it very relaxing to be able to devote a whole afternoon to my project, and it helps that I also get to have a break from the kids for a few hours!



(This is what it's supposed to look like when it's finished)

No comments:

Post a Comment