Monday 5 January 2009

Third Strike, I'm DONE!

I don't know why I bother w/ Canadian Tire anymore. I went back today b/c I was looking for a particular basket to put on my table & knew I had seen it at Canadian Tire last week. I had a few other items that I knew I could pick up there, WD-40, a tow rope, window caulk, things of that nature.

I headed first to the basket aisle & found exactly what I was looking for (much to my amazement), then I was off in search of the other stuff. I passed the caulk aisle & decided to have a look. I really didn't know what I needed to get, so I looked around for an employee to no avail. So I decided to venture forth into the automotive dept for a tow rope.

I looked around & all I could find was tie-downs. Now I don't claim to know much about car stuff, but I do know that if I tried to pull a stuck car w/ a tie-down, I would be unsuccessful. So I went in search of an employee. I hit the jackpot at the automotive counter. There were TWO guys & one offered to SHOW me what I needed. I explained that I needed a tow rope for if a car was stuck. He gave me the last one that was on the shelf & I carried on to find the next item on my list.

WD-40 wasn't hard to find so I picked up a can & decided to try finding someone to help me w/ my caulk dilemma. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed 2 employees a few aisles down & headed that direction. I had just gotten my cart through all the junk they had piled in the aisles & they walked right past me to discuss something they were inventorying. I followed them & just as I caught up, they took off again. I decided at that point to give up on the caulk, but I had to pass that aisle on my way to look for something else. Just as I went by, I noticed an employee had just entered that dept. He was behind the counter, so I wended my cart through the narrow aisles & just as I made it up the counter, he picked up the phone, dialed, & held up his finger for me to wait. I DON'T THINK SO!

So I went off in a bit of a huff, getting more fed up by the minute. I noticed they had a Shark Steam Mop on sale, so I had a look, & debated w/ myself if I should go for it. There was an employee nearby (& she didn't take off as soon as I approached!) & I asked her if I bought it & discovered that I didn't like it, if I'd be able to return it. She said she didn't see why not, so I decided to take the plunge.

On my way to the register, I noticed there was another employee in the housewares dept that was a bit older (& perhaps a bit more knowledgeable), so I thought I'd ask her about the steam mop. She said she had to go to the warehouse (oh dear) to look for something for another customer, but could she come back & help me? I said that'd be fine & proceeded to wait. She showed up about 10 minutes later & looked surprised to see me, I heard her say, "oh yeah." I think I was lucky she happened by, or I could've been waiting for a LONG time.

I asked if she knew of anyone who had one. She did not, but she said that they sold lots of the mops. Then I asked her if I bought it & didn't like it, if I could return it. She said yes, but I wanted to clarify to be sure (It was on sale, but not THAT cheap). So I asked how I'd go about doing that b/c the cleaning cloth would be dirty, so should I wash it first, or just return it? She said, quite discourteously, that once it was used I couldn't return it (that's what I was asking, right?) b/c no one would want to buy something that had been used. She then suggested that there was another one on sale up front. She was headed that way & decided to show me. Unfortunately it was a 2-in-1 convertible vacuum, not a mop, but I didn't realize that at first, so I asked since this one didn't appear to have mop pads, if I didn't like it, could I return it. She then quite rudely informed me that "you can't return used items anywhere. That's not how this world works. No one wants to buy something that you've used. You can't just bring something back b/c it doesn't work the way you thought it would!"* So I told her I didn't want any of them then, & carried on to the registers to purchase the rest of my items.

Once home I showed PChad the tow rope I got & apparently it's the kind you'd use to tow a car behind you, not to pull one out of a snowdrift. So it'll have to go back. I told PChad he could do the honours b/c I am done w/that store.

*Incidentally, I noticed on the Shark website, they have a 60 day money back guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment