Tuesday 27 January 2009

He'd Fit Right In

When Asher speaks up & asks a question, I always wait a few beats before offering an answer. More often than not, he isn't actually asking a question, but quoting something.....

"Where are we going?'................. said Giraffe, 'are we going to Leo's house?'" (Let's Go by Tania Hurt-Newton)

"It's nighttime............ in the jungle & the moon is on the rise, all the animals are snoring in whisperings & sighs." (Snoozers by Sandra Boynton)

"The moon is up!.............. It's getting late, let's get ready to celebrate!" (Pajama Time by Sandra Boynton)

"I like you alot................. You're funny & kind, so let me explain what I have in mind." (Personal Penguin by Sandra Boynton)

"Two fish, called Bob & Bob" (Fifteen Animals by Sandra Boynton)

"I have a thing to tell you & it won't take long." (Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton)

One of my favourite shows is the Gilmore Girls. I just love how they slip pop-culture references into almost every conversation they have. I have the seasons on DVD & one of the things that came w/ the set is a little book which explains some of the references. I knew the conversations were laden w/ references, but I missed over half of the ones that were there (the writer really are geniuses).

Living w/ Asher is a bit like living w/ the Gilmore Girls. His mind is constatly working through things he's heard before. If I mention Chapstick, he asks if it's Cherry Chapstick like the song. He'll randomly tell us things that he saw on TV, "The kitty got stuck in the tree & the tree fell over!" (a Bob the Builder episode). Half the time I don't even know what he's talking about & PChad will get it & clue me in.

Maybe it was all the episodes of Gilmore Girls that I watched on "Gilmore Nights" w/ Melody, when I was pregnant w/ him, but I think he could fit right in w/ Lorelai & Rory.

3 comments:

  1. This makes me smile! (I'd laugh, but I'm reading this in class. :P)

    Better keep up Sherilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm noticing a heavy dose of Sandra Boynton (whom I love) - maybe he needs to have his horizons broadened. :) See if he'll quote Shakespeare or Byron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking to someone today about the Gilmore Girls!!
    Oh how i love that show!! I love to slip into that family and imagine I am Lorelai, and able to come up with whitty quips at any moment, or be able to talk faster so I can add so much more humor into our daily hum drum lives.
    The writers of Gilmore Girls were great! I love that show. And had a little crush on Luke. :)

    ReplyDelete