Tuesday 13 January 2009

I've Been Interviewed!

Today I'm being interviewed by Sarah of Brit Gal' in the USA.

1. You've moved 9 times in as many years, you have to be highly organised to pull this off without a nervous breakdown! Do you have a moving plan/list always ready, how difficult have you found all this moving and how quickly can you feel settled somewhere new?
I generally start packing things about 2 months before we move, which drives PChad crazy b/c he's constantly looking for things that've been packed away already. I've gotten really good at figuring out what will fit in the boxes, & tend to hoard nice boxes. This is the first time since our first move that we've gotten rid of the boxes (We'd better be staying for awhile!) I find it harder to move now that we have kids b/c I'm not getting into the new community as quickly as when I used to work, now I tend to stay in more. But it usually doesn't take more than a month or so to feel settled, we get involved in the church right away which really helps.

2. Where has been your favourite place to live and why?
Definitely England. Of course when we first moved there we were not ready for the culture shock. I think that we thought since they spoke English it would be like moving from the States to Canada, but there are so many cultural differences (as I'm sure you could attest)! The churches were different there so it took us awhile to find one where we felt like we fit. I had to figure out how to get a job (luckily the Visa wasn't a problem), we had Canadian dollars w/ the exchange rate being $2.50=£1. We were poor, but we had the most fun just walking around exploring b/c we couldn't afford to do anything else. We just really fell in love w/ the culture & it was refreshing to not hear everyone's business while waiting in queues! We'd love to move back there someday, but we'll see if that's what God has planned for us!
3. I am in total awe of you not wearing make-up for 5 years! As your picture shows, you are a natural beauty, but aren't you ever tempted to put on a little mascara or lippie!? Why did you stop wearing it?
I'm not real sure why I stopped, but to start again, I just am not that good at figuring out what looks good & what's too much, & I'm really bad at putting on eye stuff (luckily I don't really need that). I've been experimenting w/ lipstick again lately, but I figure that if I'm not sure that it looks good, it's probably better to go w/o, then at least I'm not showing the world I have no make-up savvy, it just looks like I didn't have time!
4. You lived in London for awhile, what did you like most about it and the least, is there anything you miss about the UK?
I just really liked the city. I loved taking the trains & tube & reading on the way to work, the FOOD! There's a restaurant in Chinatown called "Wong Kei" & you could get each plate for
£5, so we'd go w/ some friends & each pitch in our £5. The waiter's weren't overly friendly, & you ate cafeteria style, but we always had a good time. I think it's still my favourite Chinese restaurant. I really enjoyed the people that I worked w/ there. They've all moved on from that company now, but they really helped me to understand & fit into the culture.

I think what I liked least was not being able to find things I wasn't used to having to look for. There's no Walmart, so when I needed socks for cheap, it took awhile to figure out the best place to find them. I cut myself fairly early on & I was looking all over for Hydrogen Peroxide or Rubbing Alcohol & couldn't figure out for the life of me why I couldn't find any!
5. What adjustments have you had to make to your personality or persona, since you became the Pastors wife. Have you had to tone anything down about yourself in order to fit the title?
I've had to stop talking about my husband! I think more about what I'm going to say before I just open my mouth. I really think about each blog entry before it goes up, not that I always have to show us in a great light but b/c I don't want to be a stumbling block for anyone. I'm not (quite) as sarcastic as I used to be, but it's hard to know if these changes are b/c I'm a Pastor's Wife, or b/c I'm getting older & maturing (a little). But I haven't learned to play the organ & I haven't joined the choir. I feel like I'm just another parishioner at church & that's the way I like it.


Here's the instructions:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the
questions).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions and let me know when you have posted it, so I can link it.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview
someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask
them five questions.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent answers, I really enjoyed reading them and am glad you liked the UK so much....but you're right it's a heck of a difference! You are now linked.

    ReplyDelete