Wednesday 12 January 2011

The Perfect Man -Review

Perfect ManA month or so ago, PChad & I attended a wedding & had 5 hours to kill b/w the ceremony & the reception.  Since we had a babysitter at our house, we couldn’t go back to pick up our books, so we headed to the local bookstore to buy a few magazines before we headed to Starbucks.  The only magazines that I could find that I was interested in were around the $11 mark, so I thought that I might as well look for a book, since I was sure I could find one for about the same price.

I’m a bargain shopper, & I always want to get the most for my money, so I looked for a good thick book, so I wouldn’t run out of things to read.  One of the things I look for when I’m in a hurry, is a book that is priced in British Pounds.  I figure that if the book is good enough to be imported, it has to be pretty good.  I found “The Perfect Man” by Sheila O’Flanagan, & it fit all the above criteria, so I bought it.

The main character of the book is a lawyer turned author, who wrote a book called “The Perfect Man”.  She ends up taking a job to be the keynote speaker on a Valentine’s cruise, & brings her sister along as her personal assistant.  Since she is the author of a romance book, everyone seems to think she is a total romantic, which couldn’t be further from the truth.  Both she & her sister have be unlucky in love.  The story begins as the sisters board the ship, & meet other guests, bringing more characters into the story.  As the story unfolds, we find that many of the characters have troubled pasts, leading them to be cautious about love & letting others get close to them.

Even though this is a romance novel, I was pleased to discover that the 1 or 2 brief love scenes were very tastefully done, & they did not detract from the rest of the story in any way.

This book has seen me through the 5 hour wedding wait, a flight to Alberta, 90 minutes of being abandoned in a ski lodge, a flight back to PEI, & all the moments between.  At 600 pages, I never had to worry about finishing the book, until last week.  At the end I really, really wanted to find out what happens, so I wanted to finish it, but I also wasn’t ready to be done the book, since it was such a good story, but finish it I did, & if the rest of Sheila O’Flanagan’s books are 1/2 as good, I think I may have found a new favourite author!

7 comments:

  1. Maybe you should share this book with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought it and am so excited, all thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, will try to find her books at the local library. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really nice! Do you read Mary Higgins Clark?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is a recommendation lol, I will check it out. I did see Regency House Party and it is kind of similar you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sherilyn

    I'm delighted you enjoyed my book and hope you'll like any more of them you read just as much. (Hope you had a good time at the wedding too!!)

    all the best
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete