Tuesday 27 October 2009

Julie & Julia -Review

When I first heard about the movie "Julie & Julia", it intrigued me. Granted, it wouldn't have been my first choice of a movie to go see, but I figured that if someone else was going & invited me along, I wouldn't object to seeing it.

Well, the opportunity never came for me to see the movie, but a friend of mine lent me the book. Over the last few weeks I've been slowly plugging away & finally finished it the other night.

After reading the book, I can say that I am glad I didn't shell out the cash to see the film. I'm not saying it was a bad film or a bad book, but it just wasn't up my alley.

I could connect a bit with the main character at the beginning as she decided to teach herself how to cook. I'm not that great a cook & it's not one of my favourite things to do, but as the book went on I just was finding myself turned off more & more by all the details about cooking! I almost felt like I was in the kitchen wasting hours of my time trying to get the oil to drop in the mayonnaise just right, when I personally couldn't care less!

She also started a blog about her cooking experiences. I could relate here too. It was a way for her to connect with the outside world. A way for her to share her triumphs & struggles with complete strangers, who for one reason or another have deemed her blog worth reading.

There were funny moments & there were times that the book just seemed to drag for me. I wouldn't say that it was a bad book, it just wasn't something I was very interested in. I would recommend it for people who are interested in cooking & like to read, but it just wasn't my cup o' tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment