Friday 14 November 2008

Laws of Nature

Pastor Chad was gone to a meeting last night, so I figured that since I had an evening to myself, once the kids were down for the night I’d have a nice luxurious soak in the tub. I got the kids in bed, waited about 1/2 an hour to make sure they were totally settled, filled the tub, got in, NOT 5 MINUTES LATER Asher was crying for something. I figured he’d eventually give it up & left him to it for awhile (I was trying to finish my Sudoku puzzle). After about 10 minutes I thought I’d better go check on him, so I got out of the tub, & went dripping to his room.

What did he want? “Please, Mummy, I’d like the cow blanket back tied around me & then I will have a happy face! Remember?” No, I did not remember, & it took awhile for me to work out exactly what he wanted. He apparently wanted me to tie his cow blanket around his neck like we had done that morning. I expalined that having a blanket tied around your neck while you sleep is not safe, so I couldn’t do it, but we’d do it first thing in the morning. He sniffed a bit, said ok, & off I went back to my nice warm tub……. For a few minutes.

Once again, he’s crying, this time a bit more passionately. He wants that cow blanket on, & a drink of water, & for me to come back into his room. So, out of the tub, drip drip drip back to his room w/ a drink of water (luckily we had a sippy cup in the washroom). At this point he’s practically hyperventilating b/c he’s gotten himself so worked up. So, I try to calm him down w/ his drink of water (no luck), telling him his bedtime story again (not working), promises of tying the cow blanket on his shoulders FIRST thing in the morning (not good enough). I even tried telling him that we’d be going out to dinner tomorrow night & that he’d need to sleep b/c otherwise he’d be too tired & we’d have to stay home. Well, that perked him up.

Asher: “We can go to McDonald’s!”

Me: “Well, I don’t know if we’ll go to McDonald’s, but we’ll go to a restaurant for dinner.”

A: “McDonald’s is a restaurant.”

Me: “Yes, McDonald’s is a restaurant, but maybe we’ll go to Boston Pizza, or somewhere else.”

A: “I want to stay home.” (And the crying begins again)

Know what finally worked to calm him down? He realized I was wet & I told him that I had to go wash my hair. Apparently my having clean hair was enough to settle him down so he could drift off to sleep.

So, I quickly washed my hair, worried that things might escalate again. All was quiet, so I slipped downstairs to watch a little CSI & THE OFFICE! I look forward to Thursday night ALL WEEK! Precisely 5 minutes into “The Office” Chancery wakes up! Of all the nights!………… So I went up, nursed her, put her back down, prayed she’d stay asleep & went back to finish watching the show.

This morning Chancery woke up at 6am & decided she’d had enopugh of this sleeping lark. Asher normally gets up around 6:30, so I tried to get her back to sleep for awhile (in vain) & then when I realized it wasn’t going to happen, just sat up w/ her. And of course, since Chancery woke up so early, Asher decided to sleep-in ’til 7 *sigh* sometimes life just isn’t fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment