Tuesday 21 September 2010

Garage Saleing

Saturday was the annual 70 Mile Garage Sale on the island, so I headed out with Chancery to see what we could find.  I was hunting for some long sleeved shirts for her, and that was really the only thing I needed, though I’m always on the lookout for old Fisher Price toys as well.

 

We started off slowly, not really finding anything good.  I picked up a few T-shirts for Asher, but there wasn’t much out there for Chancery.  It didn’t take long for me to shed my sweater.  It had been a cool morning, but it was quickly warming up.  A few garage sales later I could hardly stand the heat in my long sleeved shirt, so I shelled out 50¢ for a tank top (don’t worry, it was clean) & I was ready to hit a few more sales.

 

Apparently my garage saleing skills were a bit rusty as I totally missed out on the complete set of Little House on the Prairie books for $5, simply b/c I didn’t grab them when I first laid eyes upon them.  I learned my lesson & got down to business.  No other deals would be missed!

 

When I spied an 80 piece wooden train set touting “no missing pieces!” I grabbed it before Chancery had even noticed & that’s saying something, she can spy the toys at a garage sale almost before we’ve gotten out of the car.  It was marked for $25, but I wasn’t willing to pay that much for it.  I had a choice.  I could approach the woman who was wearing the money belt, or I could ask the man who was chowing on a burger if they’d take less…

 

Of course I went to the man!  He asked, “Was that at OUR table?”  As more proof that he was just happy to be rid of more ‘junk’, he accepted my lower bid & then asked, “How much change do I owe you?”  I probably could have gotten away with it for $10, but I stuck with the $15 we had agreed on.  It just goes to show that usually if you want to talk someone down on prices, it’s best to negotiate with the men since the women have a harder time seeing something of value go for less.  Of course, this same principle is reversed when it comes to tools!

 

Sadly, I didn’t find any great Fisher Price toys this time, but I had a great time looking everything over.  Since Chancery was born it just makes garage saleing more difficult when you have to get 2 kids out at every stop & they throw fits when you don’t let them have the grungy old stuffed toys they have just discovered, but now they love them so much & they just can’t go on if they can’t take them home RIGHT NOW!

 

I got home & was so excited to show PChad my awesome new trains that I got, but his first remark was, “What are you wearing?”  After he got over my new wardrobe, he was quite impressed with the train set too.

5 comments:

  1. Heh, the pricing theory (including the tool sub-theory) is pretty accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you find any Fisher Price toys? I need to take a look at your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I see now that you didn't. I need to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Brian, but you have to account for the "tank top" variable when calculating the outcome of any negotiations when bargaining with a man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love garage sales!

    ReplyDelete