Saturday 19 January 2019

Road Tripping to Trinidad

Today is the day that my Spanish really got put to the test. I have not really used it in 22 years, so now we'll find out how good my memory is! We booked a taxi to take us to Trinidad, so we had to get up at 630 so we could get breakfast, before meeting in the lobby. Had a great driver named Sergio, which was good since the drive was 4 hours each way! I got to sit in the back in the middle the whole way.


Our first stop was a cigar shop, then we had lunch where Sergio recommended, which had really good fish & I had spaghetti.


After lunch we wandered around looking at souvenirs in the market, but I didn't find anything. One very pregnant lady said she loved my dress, & wanted to trade, but I told her she'd have to keep the baby, which she thought was funny. Then another lady offered to trade my dress for a t-shirt, but I said, "then I'd have no bottoms!" Which they also thought was funny.


The church in the town square



Bananas are in season, but there are no apples to be found in Cuba!







Went to the old doctor's house which is a museum now & climbed the tower to get a nice view of the city.




Setting up for a proper photo was taking too long!




Tara & were talking about the treasures we were finding in the cobblestones.  Unfortunately, no coins were found!


We stopped to have some ice cream, & it was super cheap, only ₱.80!

Tara bought a table runner while I translated for the lady. It was quite comical! At one point Tara asked how you say "blue" in Spanish, & the lady said "Blue" while I said, "Azul". The lady laughed & said, "For you, Azul, for your friend, Blue!"


We met up with Sergio again, & he brought us to a pottery place where we saw the guy make a few cups & things.




Before we left, we had a traditional Cuban drink called 'Canchanchara'





Then we began the long drive back to our resort, with a stop at the Pina Colada place!


Once we got back Luke went to bed, & we quickly went for supper since it was almost closed. Then Chad went to bed while Tara & I went to the lobby for drinks & a chat. It was a good day, but I'm ready to relax!


  Found this little guy hanging out by our room

No comments:

Post a Comment